Monday, January 24, 2011

Dessert :)

Tonight I finally got around to making a recipe from my new cookbook, The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook, that I got for Christmas! I have been dying to try something but never got the chance and never had all the ingredients everytime I looked at it, so tonight I decided I will just pick something I have all the ingredients for right now so I didn't have to go to the store. As it turns out what I chose was a dessert. It's really simple and easy to follow, and smells sooooo good when it comes out of the oven!

I made:

Victoria Sponge Sandwich Cake - mentioned in Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire.

1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter (12 T), @ room temp
1 C sugar
3 Lg eggs, at room temp, but I didn't do room temp
1/2 C raspberry jam
Confectioners sugar, for dusting
Whipped Cream, for serving, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350*. Grease 2 8-inch round cake pans and line bottom with parchment paper ( I did not do this). Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in mixing bowl, set aside.
2. Using electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down sides as needed. Add eggs one at a time, (which I did not do) beating after each until mixed well. Add the flour mixture and mix on the slowest speed until combined. Finish by scraping down and folding the batter together with a rubber spatula.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake for about 20 minutes until the cakes are golden brown around the edges-the tops of the cakes will be pale-and the cakes feel soft but set when touched lightly in the center or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cook in the pans for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely.
4. To assemble the cake, place one cake on a cardboard round top-side down and spread with the jam all the way the the edges. Top with the second cake, top-side up, and dust generously with confectioners' sugar. Serve with whipped cream and have it with tea.

1 comment:

Brittney Montoya said...

Missy! How do I follow your blog??? I am super new to all of this. There is now follow button... so is there another way to follow that I do not know of. And how do I add people to my followers or do they have to follow on their own? I want to be your future follower... lol. Hope you are doing well. I am glad we have blogs so we can see how one another is doing! Miss you! It has been ages!